Jalapeño Mac and Cheese Recipe
What’s Cooking? with Chef Brandon Bowers of The Gahan House
Jalapeño Mac and Cheese
When I think about comfort food, I think about all the meals I have made for my wife at home over the years: Stuffed pork loin, Chicken Cordon Bleu, or even an amazing tomato soup. But when it came down to it, I couldn’t help but think back to a day when I was off from work–I remember it was raining and kind of cold. Normally on a day off I would go out golfing or fishing, but on this day the weather was not cooperating. So, this in turn led to a mid-afternoon hit of hunger. When I went to the kitchen to make something, I found I was down a little on supplies, but I did have all the things I needed to make this following dish…
Water – 2.5 litres
Macaroni – 500g / 1 litre
Jalapeño – 4 oz. volume / 1.7 oz. weight
Cream – 24 oz. volume
Cheese – 11 oz. weight
Parmesan cheese – 2 oz weight
Salt – 10 grams / 1 Tablespoon
Pepper – 5 grams / 1 teaspoon
Panko or dried bread crumb of any sort – 10 oz volume / 155g
Butter – 2 oz. weight
Cheese – 3.5 oz. weight (separate from other cheese)
- In a medium pot, begin to boil water
- While it’s coming to a boil, begin to shred your cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Celsius
- Pick seeds out of the pickled jalapeños and finely dice them
- When the water comes to a boil, place the macaroni into the pot and stir right away to prevent it from sticking. Bring the pot down to a simmer and cook macaroni for 9-12 minutes
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in microwave or in a pot slowly. Mix the panko (or bread crumb) with 3.5 oz of cheese and pour the melted butter over it. Mix together well. Place to the side.
- In a small saucepan, place the cream in the pan and bring it to a simmer, then add the cheese once it’s simmering. Stir until the cheese is melted and incorporated, then add some salt and pepper. When the macaroni is cooked, strain and place it back in the pot. Then stir in the cheese sauce and chopped jalapenos.
- Place the mac and cheese into a pan and cover with the bread crumb and cheese mixture. Next, place in oven for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, wait your sweet time until it cools down a bit, and ENJOY!