Beach Chair Lager Beer Can Hen
The perfect BBQ starts with beer and ends with happiness. Here is Chef Kyle Panton’s favourite beer can hen recipe just in time for BBQ season to really begin!
Beer Can Hen
1 ea Cornish Hen or Small chicken
2 can Beach Chair Lager
2oz Vegetable Oil
Rub for Hen
60g Smoked Paprika
60g Garlic Powder
60g Onion Powder
100g Cajun Spice Mix
20g Dried Oregano
10g Cracked Black Pepper
150g Brown Sugar
Steps to Happiness
- Mix all spices together in a bowl to ensure they are well blended.
- Take your thawed hen and rub the oil over it to help make the rub stick.
- Rub your spices over the hen and ensure you get it everywhere for best flavour. Let your hen sit for at least 30 minutes with rub on it so all the flavours are absorbed.
- Take one 355mL Beach Chair Lager, open it, and take a couple big drinks so the can isn’t overly full. If you have a beer canned chicken holder, use it! If not, place the hen on top of the can (you may have to make a couple cuts to the hen to make it fit) and use foil to make a ring to hold it up.
- Set the hen and the can in your oven (or BBQ) at 325F for about 30 mins or until internal temperature is at 165F.
- Take your second Beach Chair Lager and drink it while you wait 😉
- When your hen is finished, enjoy with your favourite side dish.
Recipe by Chef Kyle Panton of Sims Corner Steakhouse & Oyster Bar